COVID-19 and St. Thomas’ Church
We open the Church every Monday and Thursday between 11.30am and 1.30pm for people to come and pray individually. Everyone is welcome! Our greeters will provide you with sanitiser. Please do wear a mask when you come into the Church.
Wednesday 10am Eucharist
FROM 9TH DECEMBER 2020:
We are now holding the 10am Eucharist every Wednesday. You can just turn up for this service. Please remember your mask when you come to Church! We will take your temperature and provide you with sanitiser
. We will livestream this service at 10am every Wednesday on our Facebook page.
Sunday 10am Eucharist
FROM 6TH DECEMBER 2020:
Our Sunday 10am Eucharist service is back in person and online! To join us in person, please use the booking form to register so we know how many people to expect. If you can’t join us in person, If you want to participate online, contact Rev. Jutta or Rev. Cat and they can invite you to our ZOOM online service. We will also be livestreaming on our Facebook page.
As the country has battled against the COVID-19 pandemic, we hope that you and your families have stayed safe and well.
Q: Do you have any in-person events I can attend?
The following events can be attended in-person:
- Open Church on Mondays and Thursdays, 11.30am – 1.30pm (just turn up)
- 10am Eucharist on Wednesdays (just turn up) – from 9th December 2020
- 10am Eucharist on Sundays (by booking only, with Sunday School) – from 6th December 2020
If you have coronavirus symptoms:
- a high temperature
- a new, continuous cough
- a loss of, or change to, your sense of smell or taste
PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND CHURCH IF YOU HAVE ANY SYMPTOMS.
If you develop symptoms after attending church, you must let us know.
Q: What precautions are being taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19?
We take this very seriously at St. Thomas and have a number of precautions in place.
- Hand sanitiser – you must use the sanitiser on the way in and the way out of the Church.
- Face masks – these are mandatory unless you are covered by the Government exemptions.
- Social distancing – please remain 2 metres apart from others while in the Church building. You will be asked to sit with adequate spacing between you and the next person, unless you are family or forming a “social bubble”. On Sundays, we operate a seating plan created from the list of people who book in.
- No singing – Unfortunately, we are currently unable to sing hymns during our Eucharist services as this could inadvertently spread germs. We do have a very talented vocalist who sings during our Sunday Eucharist, accompanied by our organist, Simon.
- No coffee after the service – We miss this one! But for everyone’s safety, we are currently not providing refreshments or shared lunch after the Sunday 10am service. We do run a ZOOM Coffee chat after the service though, so you can nip home and join in online for our usual chatter.
- Temperature checking – One of our sidespeople will take your temperature using a contactless thermometer to ensure you are not exhibiting any signs of fever (a symptom of COVID-19).
- Sunday Booking System – As Sunday is our busiest day, we have been operating a booking system for the 10am Eucharist. Anyone can book in! Our office administrator emails everyone on a Saturday morning to let them know if they’re booked in, and creates a seating plan (please see below for details on how to book).
Q: I’m still shielding and I don’t feel able to attend in person. What can I do?
We understand that some people will not feel able to return to Church physically yet, and this is fine! We are still here for you if you need us. We have a team of people who keep in touch with members of the congregation, and if you would like to chat, you can reach out to our clergy via the Contact page.
We also have a downloadable resource for praying at home.
Q: ZOOM Church and Livestreaming – how do I participate?
We are also continuing to run ZOOM Church on Sundays, in tandem with our physical service! This means you can join in from home via your computer, tablet or smartphone. If you’d like an invite to join us on ZOOM, you are more than welcome! Please email Rev. Jutta Brueck and she can send you an invite.
On Wednesdays, we livestream the 10am Eucharist on our Facebook page. You don’t need to join Facebook to watch it, just visit the page. You can also watch past livestreams!
Rev. Cat also posts a weekly video on Youtube – head over to her YT channel and give them a watch.
Q: I’d like to come to Church on Sunday – how do I book?
We have a booking form which you can fill in online. We ask for contact details like email and phone number just for the purposes of contacting you to say you’re booked in and for track and trace if it is necessary (although we hope we won’t have to do that, of course). Your details are held securely and are deleted after 21 days.
The booking form opens on Tuesdays and closes at 9am on Saturdays. Our office administrator will send out emails to everyone after that to let them know if their booking was successful. We do operate a waitlist, but so far, we haven’t had to use it as we have enough seating to safely space people out.
Sunday School will be resuming from Sunday 6th December 2020, with appropriate safety measures in place, so please fill in the appropriate section on the form if your children would like to attend!